Colombian cinema has burst onto the world stage in the past decade, evidenced by the number of its films that have premiered in the official selection of the most prestigious film festivals, winning awards and enchanting audiences and critics all over the world. VLAFF is honoured to present this Spotlight on Colombian Cinema and to join in the admiration of these highly talented filmmakers and their outstanding films.
- Building Royale (Edificio Royal) by Iván Wild
- Chocó by Jhonny Hendrix Hinestroza
- Don Ca by Patricia Ayala Ruiz
- La Playa D.C. by Juan Andrés Arango
- La Sirga by William Vega
- The Wind Journeys (Los viajes del viento) by Ciro Guerra
- Portraits (Los retratos) by Ivan D. Gaona
- Rodri by Franco Lolli
- Scarlet Earth (Tierra escarlata) by Jesús Reyes Hoyos
- River (Río) by Nicolás Serrano
A Conversation on Colombian Cinema
In the last decade, Colombian cinema has experienced remarkable growth, both in terms of the number and the quality of its film productions. In 2011 alone, a record high of 18 Colombian films were released. These 18 releases represent more than twice the number of releases in the previous five years and more than triple the number in the past eight years. To discuss this new wave of Colombian Cinema and the Cinema Laws that have provided the infrastructure for its success, we are pleased to welcome this distinguished panel.
Guest speakers will include:
- Adelfa Martínez, Director of the Film Office, Ministry of Culture of Colombia
- Juan Andrés Arango, Director (La Playa D.C.)
- Cristina Gallego, Producer (The Wind Journeys, Building Royale)
- Ciro Guerra, Director (The Wind Journeys)
SUNDAY, SEPTMEBER 1 | 5:45PM | PC – Free Admission
With many thanks to the Ministry of Culture of Colombia and the Consulate General of Colombia in Vancouver for their support of this program.